Music refers to vocal or instrumental sounds or both, combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. It is even defined as the “language of the soul.” This maybe so because we can express our deepest thoughts and feelings through songs.
Why study music?
Here are some good reasons why music is a field worth studying:
- It has to do with Science.
It uses exact symbols to get the right pitches, and it demands exact acoustics. It also embodies many levels of physics from acoustics to architecture.
- It involves number.
Pythagoras beautifully puts it, “There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres.”
- It is the Language of the world.
Music can be expressed in different languages and made by different cultures, yet it can be understood by all people.
- It does not only tell about the present but also of the past.
Music usually reflects the environment and times of its creation, expressing the emotion of a group of people.
- It invites movement.
For music to be more beautiful, it requires fantastic coordination of the fingers, hands, arms, lips and facial muscles, etc. That is why some songs make us move or even make us dance.
- It is a form of Art.
It allows us to use our experiences to express our deepest emotions, and helps us understand beauty, love, and compassion. It also inspires us to live life to the fullest.
While we all love music, not all of us are called musicians. Only those who have the necessary knowledge and skills deserve the title — professional musicians.
Qualities of a good musician:
A good musician is one who plays an instrument or several instruments proficiently and must have the following qualities:
- the right education and experience
- proficiency in playing one or several instruments
- the ability to read and transcribe music sheets
- a good understanding of music genres and styles
- adaptable –a professional musician usually needs to travel to different locations for performances
- disciplined — musicians are expected to master several new pieces in a short period of time
Where to study music?
To make sure that you acquire the necessary skills to become a great musician, study in a school that offers quality education. In Cagayan de oro city, Liceo de Cagayan University offers excellent Music courses in the philippines. For more details, you may visit their website http://www.liceo.edu.ph.